Primary School


Primary School

Holidays in Term Time

Can I take my child out of school for a family holiday?

The simple answer is “No”! Headteachers cannot authorise absence purely for the reason of a family holiday.  If you feel you have an exceptional circumstance you must speak to me prior to making any arrangements or taking any absence. Parents are legally responsible for ensuring their children receive education in accordance with section 7 of the Education Act 1996 and if on a school roll that they regularly attend school. There is, however, a discretionary power held by Headteachers to authorise absence in exceptional circumstances.


Please note: A family holiday is not an exceptional circumstance.

I advise that you do not plan for your child to be absent from school without gaining prior agreement from their school first.  I cannot retrospectively authorise absence from school under any circumstances.

If your request is authorised, you are required to ensure your child catches up on any missed school work.  This is your responsibility and school are not obliged to provide work for your child to complete.

Any unauthorised absence will be recorded on your child’s attendance records.  This may result in legal proceedings against you.

In order to acquire authorisation for you to remove your child from school you will need to fill the request form attached below. A paper copy is available  from the school office.


A family holiday is not an exceptional circumstance.

Exceptional circumstances could include:

  1. Service personnel returning from a tour of duty abroad where the individual will not be in receipt of any leave in the near future that coincides with school holidays.
  2. Where an absence from school is recommended by a health professional as part of a parent or child’s rehabilitation from a medical or emotional issue.
  3. The death or terminal illness of a person close to the family.
  4. To attend a wedding or funeral of a person close to the family.


If a holiday request is not granted, you may write to the Governing Body to appeal. Dates of Governing Body Meetings are published on this website.